David Russell AM RFD QC
David was admitted as a solicitor, in 1974, and was first called to the Bar in 1977. He is admitted to practise in Australia, England and Wales (where he is a member of Lincoln’s Inn), the Courts of the Dubai International Financial Centre, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea. He was first appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1986.
David currently practises in Sydney (Ground Floor Wentworth Chambers) and Brisbane (Sir Harry Gibbs Chambers) and is an associate member of chambers in London, New York and Abu Dhabi (Outer Temple Chambers), Auckland (Shortland Chambers) and Darwin (William Forster Chambers).
He has acted for Commonwealth and State Governments as well as individuals and corporations.
David was President of the Taxation Institute of Australia from 1993 to 1995, and of the Asia Oceania Tax Consultants’ Association from 1996 to 2000. He is a member of the Law Council of Australia Business Law Section Taxation Committee. He served as a member of the Ministerial Consultative Committee for the Tax Law Improvement Project from 1994 to 1997 and as a member of the Steering Committee for the National Review of Standards for the Tax Profession in 1993 and 1994. From 1991 to 1995 he was a member of the National Tax Liaison Group.
David has lectured and written extensively on taxation related topics in Australia and overseas (including New York, London, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Brussels, Dubai, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kuala Lumpur and Karachi) and served as a member of the Advisory Editorial Board of Australian Tax Practice. He has lectured at the University of Sydney for the Master of Taxation course, the University of Queensland for the Master of Laws course and served as an Adjunct Professor of the University of Queensland. He is the Australian correspondent for Trusts and Trustees.
David is Chairman of STEP Australia and the STEP New South Wales Branch, a member of the STEP World Wide Council and Member Services and Public Policy Committees and the Committee of the STEP Contentious Trusts & Estates Special Interest Group, a co-chair of the Australian Chapter of the International Section of the New York State Bar Association, and a member of the Executive Committee of the Section, an Academician of The International Academy of Estate and Trust Law, an Honorary Member of the Taxation Institute of Hong Kong and a Fellow Member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation (UK).
David is listed in the Taxation Category in the Australian Financial Review/Best Lawyers review of the Australian Legal Profession in 2008 and all later years. In 2010 he was awarded the Order of the Rising Sun with Gold Rays and Neck Ribbon for services to Australia Japan relations. In 2012, he was made a Member of the Order of Australia for, amongst other things, “service … to taxation law and legal education
David Russell QC commenced legal practice in 1974 as a world renowned legal practitioner and advocate in:
- international and Australian taxation;
- trusts & pensions;
- professional negligence;
- financial services; and
- law in sport.
Called to the bar in:
- Australia, England & Wales (Lincoln’s Inn) (2013), the Courts of the Dubai International Financial Centre, New York (as a Legal Consultant), the Singapore International Commercial Court, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea.
- Judge Advocate, Australian Defence Force 1988 – 2004;
- Who’s Who in Australia 1997 – Present;
- Chartered Tax Adviser of the Year 2014;
- Best Lawyers 2008 – Present;
- Freedom of City of London 2014 – Present;
- Queen’s Counsel – Queen’s Counsel (post nominal QC) are lawyers appointed by letters patent to be one of Her Majesty’s Counsel learned in the law. Membership exists in various Commonwealth countries around the world and it is a status, conferred by the Crown that is recognised by courts;
- Letters Patent: Queensland, 1986, New South Wales, 1987, Victoria, 1987, Australian Capital Territory, 1988, Northern Territory, 1988.